janet's journey

I thought it time that I actually wrote down my thoughts, dreams, and hopes. Perhaps share some of what I've learned. Maybe someone will be encouraged, comforted (Life is better in community), or just amused.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gainesville, Florida, United States

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Pots, Jars, and Empty Vessels


A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that I'd attended a wonderful women's retreat. That was such a refreshing and inspiring time. One of the many blessings of that time was 1 Kings 17.
Here is my big take-away verse: 16 The [k]bowl of flour was not exhausted nor did the jar of oil [l]become empty, according to the word of the Lord which He spoke through Elijah.

You see, in this portion of Scripture, God sends the prophet Elijah to another country to find food and water. Things are pretty bad in  Israel, with famine drying everything up. God directs His man to the home of a widow, a single mom, who is actually not doing any better. He asks for  a cake to eat. The widow responds that she has just enough oil and meal to make a small meal for she and her son. Then they would die. This sister was in a hard place. No dreams, no hope for the future, no resources. But the man of God tells her not be afraid,  make a small cake for him first, then make for she and son. the widow does as instructed.  The record doesn't indicate that she had any thoughts or words of resistance. Good thing, too, because Elijah further tells her,
14 For thus says the Lord God of Israel, ‘The [i]bowl of flour shall not be exhausted, nor shall the jar of oil [j]be empty, until the day that the Lord sends rain on the face of the earth.’”
 What an amazing promise! At that moment the single mom widow chooses to believe God and verse 16 happens. God has made many precious promises in His Word. And even as I write this, I'm not sure about a particular circumstance in my life. But I am certain that God has a plan to meet the need. I am fully persuaded that my God will, and has, supplied all of my needs from His riches in glory. I am a clay jar that will never run empty because I have Jesus living in my heart. I have no need to despair because

But we have this precious treasure [the good news about salvation] in [unworthy] earthen vessels [of human frailty], so that the grandeur and surpassing greatness of the power will be [shown to be] from God [His sufficiency] and not from ourselves.2 Corinthians 4:7Amplified Bible (AMP)

God fills me up each day that I submit myself to Him. The power of Christ is there in me to experience His wonderful grace. No more empty pots.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home