janet's journey

I thought it time that I actually wrote down my thoughts, dreams, and hopes. Perhaps share some of what I've learned. Maybe someone will be encouraged, comforted (Life is better in community), or just amused.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gainesville, Florida, United States

Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Second Cup of Coffee

I wrote a brief manuscript back in 2003 about being a single mom, and the many challenges of raising a child on my own. The manuscript includes Scripture that god made especially precious to me during the early years. My pastor read the piece and said that it would make a nice series of blogs. So here we go. I hope that some one is blessed.

A Second Cup of Coffee
       Introduction – We usually have our second cup of coffee after the kids are off to school, breakfast is over, and we’re about to start our jobs, a chance to regroup before dealing with the outside world. This is our chance to talk, if ever so briefly, with The Father.  Do you mind if I join you? The scriptures tell us that where two or more are gathered in His name He will be in the midst of them. As single moms, we get very little chance to really sit down and think about anything besides the next task, next meal, and too often, the next paycheck. As never-married moms, we also must deal with the quiet shame and open sin that we are reminded of every day. Although popular media tells us that it’s O.K. to make the decisions that we have made regarding the handling of our sex lives and the resulting single-parenthood, we know that the Bible teaches against it and we are more than aware of the statistics and gloomy predictions made about our children in that same popular press.
 My goal in writing is to encourage you to turn to the God who inspired the Bible. There we find help for each day, redemption from failure, and bright promises for the future. Jesus has nothing but encouragement and healing for the woman broken and wounded by life. He also has strong words for those that would hurt our children. Let’s spend a little time with our Messiah and see if we can hear what He is saying to our hearts. I, too, am a never-married mom. I know the temptations and discouragement that often come. I also know that God loves me dearly; He has blessed me to see His Hand at work in the life of my son and me. The Lord has been more than gracious to us and I want to share the bounty of that grace with you.

Cream and sugar? 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home