janet's journey

I thought it time that I actually wrote down my thoughts, dreams, and hopes. Perhaps share some of what I've learned. Maybe someone will be encouraged, comforted (Life is better in community), or just amused.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gainesville, Florida, United States

Friday, December 23, 2011

In Honor of Daddy


In honor of my Daddy that passed away 2 years ago this week, I want to share a page from my journal that I wrote after on of our trips to the VA in early 2006.
Lately I have been spending a lot of time at the VA with my father. In so doing, I have the opportunity to observe the retired military men receiving their medical care. Most of these gentlemen are aging, as is my father. There are (sadly) a few younger men.
The one thing that got me thinking this week-end is my father‘s attitude in the midst of all that he is facing. As the doctor explained the details of my Dad’s health-care plan, Daddy said, “Bring it on.”

Bring it on.

That seems to be the unspoken mantra of the patients that I observe. In the face of great uncertainty, of a very real mortality, these men stand as straight as their bodies will allow them and face whatever challenges are before them. I am not saying that there is no fear. I am saying is that fear is not allowed to speak. These men have been trained to face the hardness of life and have not retreated. They know that there is a plan, and they have the mental toughness to deal with the plan and follow-through.
Is it any different for those of us in the army of the Lord? II Timothy tells us to …”endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please Him (our Commander-in-Chief) who called us as a soldier.” Ephesians 6:11 tells us to put on the whole armor of God. Did you ever notice that there is no armor for our rear? The Bible says that the Holy Spirit is our rear-guard. II Corinthians 10:4 describes the weapons of our warfare as mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds. We have the weapons, the armor, and a plan. It is all found in the Bible, God’s Holy Word. So what is the problem?
        We are, at least I am, chicken. I am ashamed of the many times that I wanted to retreat, go AWOL, or just vanish in the face of battle. How many times have we begged God for deliverance, or to make the discomfort go away? There are many times that we need to face the challenge and be like the Vets at the VA. We need to be ready to declare ‘bring it on.’ If we would only remember, that the battle is not ours but the Lord’s. He is our banner and leads the way.

Yes, bring it on.

   


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home