janet's journey

I thought it time that I actually wrote down my thoughts, dreams, and hopes. Perhaps share some of what I've learned. Maybe someone will be encouraged, comforted (Life is better in community), or just amused.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gainesville, Florida, United States

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Presence

Christmas season is here. For many, this is a difficult time of year. Sometimes I struggle, too. I live in the house that my Grandparents built. One of my sweetest memories is decorating the house for Momma Lottie, especially after we ditched the artificial tree and bought a fresh-cut one. I still see the way her face lit up when everything was complete and she would just stare at the lights and smell the fresh tree smell. She would sit in her favorite chair and just gaze at the lights on the tree, with the overhead room lights off. She is with our Lord now, and I miss her. She loved Christmas. Daddy went to be with Jesus on December 22, 2009. He loved having all of his kids (immediate, grands, nieces, and nephews) coming in. Daddy loved family more than anything. As, Ben wrote for class, "Why Christmas? Couldn't you have waited a bit longer to leave us?" No, Jesus first, and it was time for Daddy to report in. Daddy T,Momma Lottie, Daddy, Aunt Dot... I can't write anymore names. The tears would fry my keyboard.  I shall always miss their presence.
Fortunately, God has made provision for this. You see, God looked down through time and not only saw our sin, He saw our sorrows. He saw the hard economic times. He saw that many won't have thousands of lights hanging on their homes this year. Electricity is for more important things. He saw hunger and lack of creature comforts. So He sent His Son; not in a mansion and silken wraps. The Son came in a cave-stable wrapped in rags. God lit the way by a star. The Son lights our way through life. His presence makes up for all those we miss and takes out the sting of death and grief. The Son became the Bread of Life and Living Water so that none are empty. He is Consolation and Comfort. A Man of Sorrows and acquainted with grief. His Presence beats any store-bought present hands down. 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Relevant and true, Janet. I had a Momma Lottie, too, but I never got to meet her (she died when my Granny was a child).

December 27, 2011 at 3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was me, Debra. I didn't know how to publish it :-)

December 27, 2011 at 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home